Dryer Vent Cleaning: DIY vs Calling in a Professional

Dryer Vent Cleaning: DIY vs Calling in a Professional

Dryer Vent Cleaning: DIY vs Calling in a Professional

Clothes dryers are excellent labour-saving devices that keep your linens, clothes, and towels clean and dry, but did you know they are also a major source of home fires in Australia?

Not only are dryers a potential source of danger from fire, but the dryer vents themselves need to be kept clean as well to remove lint and debris that may have escaped the lint trap.

Benefits of a Clean Dryer Vent

A study from 2011 by Canstar Blue revealed some interesting findings regarding dryer fire risks. They found that nearly a third of Australians were at risk to house fires simply by neglecting to clear out the dryer lint cleaner.

Moreover, the study segmented data by generations and found that Baby Boomers were far more likely (76 per cent) to have good habits when it comes to dryer lint trap cleaning, cleaning frequently as is recommended. Generation X and Y were less likely to clear out the filter, with 69 per cent of Gen X’ers cleaning out the lint trap and only 45% of Gen Y, respectively.

Although the lint trap is an important place to check for lint (obviously), it only accounts for about 25% of all lint and debris that may be in the dryer. The remaining 75 per cent is normally found in the dryer vent, so the need to keep it clean and lint-free is clearly important.

Signs You Need to Have Your Dryer Vent Cleaned

It’s pretty easy to inspect your lint trap and to remove any lint after each wash, but how can you tell if your dryer vent needs cleaning?

  • A normal dryer cycle is taking noticeably longer than expected to get all of your clothes dry;
  • Your clothes are hotter than they should be when they come out of the dryer;
  • The outdoor dryer vent flap doesn’t open while the dryer is in operation;
  • Your energy bills are increasing by a little or a lot.

If you have noticed one or more of the above signs, it’s time to get that dryer vent cleaned out.

DIY Dryer Vent Cleaning

It’s possible to clean out your dryer vent yourself, although you may need a few tools such as a screwdriver and a flexible vacuum cleaner. Start by removing the duct connected to the dryer and cleaning around the rim with a vacuum cleaner as well as inside of the vent. Make sure the dryer is off and unplug it to prevent any electrical hazards.

Why Hire a Professional Appliance Repair Team?

When you want to ensure that your dryer vent is completely clean and free of lint, leave the job to qualified professionals. Not only will a professional inspection and cleaning remove any lint and/or debris stuck in the vent, but the inspector will also be able to accurately identify any other problematic signs that may be preventing your dryer from operating at peak efficiency.

More importantly, by leaving the job to a professional you are improving the safety of your home by removing a major source of fires due to lint buildups.

Domestic Appliance Repair

The friendly team of appliance experts at Domestic Appliance Repair work with many makes and models of dryers and excel at performing appliance repairs including dryer vent cleaning services. Get in touch with us today.

Brands & Suburbs We Regularly Service

Bentleigh | Blackburn | Carnegie | Dandenong | Cranbourne | Heatherton | Moorabbin | Asko | Blanco | Bosch | Chef | Dishlex | Fisher Paykel | Abbotsford | Brighton | Cheltenham | Richmond | Windsor | Doncaster | Newport | Windsor | Frankston| Werribee | Ilve| LG | Lofra | Miele | Smeg | St – George | Technika | Westinghouse | Eastern Suburbs | Northern Suburbs | Western Suburbs

By | 2024-01-10T05:13:15+00:00 May 23rd, 2021|Blog|0 Comments